After the initial excitement of downloading the program and those wonderful thoughts of how much time Ideate BIMLink is going to save, most users rush to install and dig into the software.
Before doing that, there are several things to review/consider.
- Ideate BIMLink works on Revit Architecture 2011, Structure 2011, or MEP 2011; 32 bit or 64 bit operating systems.
- Ideate BIMLink requires that the Revit Extensions (REX) be installed on all computers using Ideate BIMLink. REX can be downloaded for free, when on Autodesk subscription. subscription.autodesk.com Install REX prior to installing Ideate BIMLink.
- You will know that Ideate BIMLink is installed correctly, when you see Ideate BIMLink in the following location – Add-Ins > Extension Manager > External Extensions > Ideate Software > Ideate BIMLink.
THINGS TO CONSIDER
- Revit users, and Ideate BIMLink users, need to clearly understand the difference between Type Parameters and Instance Parameters. Instance Parameters and Type Parameters of an element combine to establish the element properties, or data.
- Type Parameters – Settings that control the appearance or behavior of all elements of a particular family type. Type parameters are also called type properties.
- Instance Parameters – Settings that control the appearance or behavior or an individual element in a project. Instance parameters are also called instance properties.
- Ideate BIMLink modifies data. In fact, some parameters have been excluded from modification, such as ID element, as this modification would cause model corruption. Careful consideration to whether you are modifying type or instance parameters needs to be understood to get the full benefit of Ideate BIMLink.
- Note that the Revit model is modified, not a schedule. Schedules are merely reports of the Revit model.
- Ideate BIMLink is phase specific. In the Link Properties > Phasing, the user can set what phase and phase filter they are interested in. If the user is in the incorrect phase, the data link will show undesired information or no information at all. A troubleshooting mechanism is to verify the phase and phase filter in both the Revit model and Ideate BIMLink.
For information on the software solutions, training and consulting Ideate provides, please visit the Ideate, Inc. homepage.
David Haynes, NCARB, PMP, LEED AP
Ideate Director of Consulting
David is a Registered Architect, Project Management Certified Professional, who previously had his own architectural practice and was President of a commercial design–build construction company for 15 years. A graduate of University of Arizona, he has worked as an Architect, contractor, developer and as a national construction manager for a national retailer. David currently provides business process analysis, data integration, and change management solutions for AEC clients across the United States involved in the design and construction industry. Follow David on Twitter.