Often, in the Ideate, Inc. technical support queue, we hear from customers who get error messages that seem mysterious, but have a quick answer.
Problem: So you run the spell checker via the command “spell” and this is what you get.
The spell checker uses the dictionary DCT files found in the program files support folder of the product. AutoCAD engine locates these files using the path info to this location found in the Support File Search Path under the Files tab of options dialog box. The problem is, for a multitude of reasons, you are missing this path.
Solution: Add the path. Here’s how:
- Open options and switch to Files tab
- Click on Support File Search Path
- Click on the Add button and add the following path:
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013\Support
- Finally, it is a good idea to move this path to the top giving it the highest search priority using Move Up button shown by the arrow above.
Note: The above path is for Civil 3D 2013. The path may vary as per the product you own. For example,
- Civil 3D 2012, use C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012\Support
- AutoCAD 2013, use C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2013\Support
- AutoCAD 2012, C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2012\Support
- Map 3D 2013, C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Map 3D 2013\Support
- Map 3D 2012, C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Map 3D 2012\Support
For more information on the software solutions, training and consulting Ideate provides, please visit the Ideate, Inc. homepage.
Senior Application Specialist Infrastructure
Gaurav is a Senior Application Specialist for Infrastructure Solutions at Ideate based out of San Francisco. He has over 18 years of experience in construction and related software industry. With this extensive design technology background he helps engineering and surveying companies, federal and state government agencies, and ENR 500 firms critically analyze and improve their construction drawing production process. He implements Civil infrastructure design technology led by InfraWorks and Civil 3D and has helped Ideate grow Civil Infrastructure Services. Being an industry recognized speaker he has presented cutting edge design technology at several industry conferences such as Autodesk University. Find Gaurav on Twitter.